We went ahead and purchased the remaining handles needed to replace all the knobs and handles in the trailer with new nickel ones. Here is the bedroom dresser to give you an idea of the handles and knobs in use at the same time. For the whole trailer, we ended up using 13 handles and 34 knobs.
The other big project, quite literally, was replacing the uncomfortable king mattress with a very comfortable queen one. This involved some sawing of the base to remove about eight inches from the sides, to bring it just inside the outside frame edge. The bed frame is still about 3 inches wider than the mattress, but not worth trying to deconstruct and re-construct. Here’s the sawing in progress.
Here’s the finished result. Note there is now several inches of open space inside the slide area, making the bed much easier to make. It also gained us a precious several inches of floor space on either side of the bed, especially Malcolm’s side (closest to the camera). The mattress is a memory foam topped tall queen mattress from Costco. A bit pricey, but very comfortable. We’ll see how it sleeps here in a few minutes, since it is almost bedtime.
One more big change is coming soon, waiting on the debit card to cool off a bit.
On another note, we paid off our last of our debts today, so we will be able to travel debt free.