Tires Complete and Kitchen Mod

Current Location: Fort Toulouse Campground, Wetumpka, Alabama

Val did laundry today and stopped by the tire store with the spare tire from the trailer. They mounted the other Goodyear tire on the rim and put it back in the trunk of her car. She had them check the tire sensors in the car since the tire indicator keeps coming on. They figure that the car probably needs new batteries in the (factory) tire sensors. We’ll mess with that some other time.

This evening after work, we did some cleanup and sorting in the trailer basement and in the front compartment (where Malcolm keeps all the tools). We pulled out a few items we never use, and pulled out the small air compressor we had on board to make way for the new one. Malcolm went around to air up all the trailer tires to 100 PSI with the new compressor. The difference between it and the old one is like night and day.

New compressor.

New compressor.

The old compressor would only run up to about 110 PSI when filling its 1 1/2 gallon tank, making it difficult to get much air in the tires above about 90 PSI. Also, it took two or three minutes just to fill its own tank. The new one fills its 3 gallon tank to 150 PSI in about 30 seconds. Malcolm aired up all the tires to 100 PSI with no trouble at all.

With all the tires aired up, Malcolm stowed the new spare up under the trailer and put away all the air compressor equipment in the front compartment.

New spare.

New spare.

With outside cleanup and tire duty complete, it was time to move inside for the next kitchen modification. We bought a Rev-A-Shelf for under the right side of the sink to hold all the various small items that roll around under there as well as a few items from another cabinet that we are going to re-shelve with a sliding wood shelf to hold our stand mixer.

 

Rev-A-Shelf model.

Rev-A-Shelf model.

Door mounting kit.

Door mounting kit.

Malcolm removed the cabinet door from the hinges and removed the hinges, placing them into a bag for safekeeping. Since the cabinet floor is the trailer floor, something was needed to bring up the level for mounting the shelf unit. Malcolm cut two 10″ pieces of interior grade 2×4 and mounted 3″ L brackets to them, then screwed the shelf down onto the 2×4’s.

The unit was mounted on the floor inside the cabinet and screwed down to the floor. The door mounting kit was installed on the shelf and the door mounted to it. After a few adjustments, it was all complete.

Mounted to the floor.

Mounted to the floor.

Close-up of mounting method.

Close-up of mounting method.

 

With door face mounted.

With door face mounted.

Complete and closed.

Complete and closed.

Val had purchased a wire basket caddy meant to be hung over the door but didn’t like the way the over the door brackets made the door come open, so we removed the bracket and found that the basket was just the right width to mount on the door with screws and still allow it to close.

Basket mounted to door.

Basket mounted to door.

Ready to fill up.

Ready to fill up.

Right as Malcolm finished the drawer, we had a storm roll in and knock out power for about an hour. Fortunately, we were just sitting around playing on the computers or iPads so we just turned on one light and relaxed, listening to the rain tapping on the roof.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Tires Complete and Kitchen Mod

  1. Just remember that the GY G614 tire weights 2X of the original tire. Therefore, carefully monitor the spare tire rack/support. I bought a cable and lock at Harbor Freight to secure the tire for thief protection and also as a back up support incase the small winch cable or winch failed. I also reinforced the two small angle iron support that the spare tire is support by, long span for the small angles to support the 60+ lbs. weight of the new tire. My thoughts. JH

      • Malcolm, I welded an additional angle beside the two supporting angles to make a T shaped piece on both sides and so doing added the total of four self tapping screw to the RV frame, in similar fashion as per the original design. Also added some more beef to the cross pieces that support the winch. Made the trip to Alaska last summer over so very bumpy roads with no problems with the spare tire rack/support.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.