Disney and Southward

Current Location: Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Jupiter, Florida

Here’s a day by day account of the rest of our Disney visit last week.

Friday, Jan. 20

We drove down to Tampa to the RV show there. We wandered around the vendor halls and dropped in to visit friends at the two different Heartland product areas. Malcolm had lunch from one of the food vendors there before we walked around the show some more. We didn’t walk through many RVs before heading out mid-afternoon to drive back up to Disney.


Selfie at the RV show

We ate dinner at the trailer before heading up to the beach at the campground to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, then stopped by Crockett’s Tavern at the back of the campground to enjoy an adult beverage.


Fireworks from the beach


Adult beverages

Saturday, Jan. 21

On Saturday morning, we took our free miniature golf cards that we were given at check-in and played a round of miniature golf at the Disney mini golf course. The course was themed in music from Fantasia. It was a fun course to play.


Time for some golf

We spent the rest of the day at Magic Kingdom, enjoying the warm weather and riding some rides.


Time for a race



After our day at Magic Kingdom, we caught the monorail over to the Polynesian Resort for our dinner and a luau. It was an excellent show and the food was great, as well. A definite recommendation.


Pre-luau selfie


Part of the show

Sunday, Jan. 22

On Sunday, we hung around the trailer most all morning. We headed out during the day to do some walking around. We also stopped by Home Depot and picked up a pre-fab kitchen wall cabinet to use as additional storage at the end of our island. We’ll eventually put a top on it and bolt it down proper. Right now, it’s holding our Instant Pot and the stand mixer.


New kitchen storage

Monday, Jan. 23

On Monday, Malcolm headed to the Orlando office to work for the day. Meanwhile, Val met some friends at Magic Kingdom. Their oldest child used to be in pre-school with our granddaughter Violet before they moved across the state of Washington. We got to visit with them a couple days this past summer at Lake Chelan. Malcolm caught up with everyone around 5:30 or so. We rode a couple rides, watched fireworks and ate a late dinner before saying goodnight.

Tuesday, Jan. 24

On Tuesday, Malcolm headed to the office again to take care of work. He ended up working all day and headed back home around 6:00. We had dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Fort Wilderness Lodge.

Wednesday, Jan. 25

We started the day by having breakfast at the Trail’s End restaurant at the back of Fort Wilderness. They have an excellent breakfast buffet. After breakfast, we headed over to Epcot for the day. We had lunch in the Japanese restaurant, Teppan Edo. They cook the food right in front of you. It was a fun lunch.



Thursday, Jan. 26

We met our friends at Magic Kingdom again on Thursday. We arrived fairly early and spent the day. They came on over in the afternoon. Since they had more family with them, they wandered off on their own to enjoy the park. We headed on out to eat dinner back at the trailer.


Horse drawn trolley at Magic Kingdom


Big Thunder Mountain rollercoaster


Cinderella’s Castle

Friday, Jan. 27

On Friday we headed over to Animal Kingdom park since the weather had cooled off a fair bit. We had gotten used to 80 degree sunny days, and Friday’s high was only in the upper 50’s. We rode the safari ride as we had heard that cool weather is the best time to see the animals out and active.

Saturday, Jan. 28

Saturday was another cool and somewhat dreary day. Since we needed to leave on Sunday and we knew it was forecast to rain, we started taking down all our decorations and other non-essential items outside to cut down on pack up time the next day.We also went out and filled up the car and the truck with fuel.

We met a family that had just pulled into the campground after lunch right behind us. They, too, were heading to Epcot. We took them on the scenic ride to Epcot (bus to the back of the campground, boat to Magic Kingdom, monorails to Epcot).

Unfortunately, we just missed each connection on the way and gave them a taste of some worst-case transportation at the parks. It took more than an hour to get to Epcot. To top it off, Epcot was extremely busy and security getting into the park was somewhat hectic. They made their first Fastpass with their daughter to meet the characters, but just barely. Hopefully, they took the bus back from the park and saved a lot of travel hassles.

Sunday, Jan. 29

Sunday morning, we awoke to rain, as expected. We drove the car over to the overflow parking lot and picked up the truck. We finished packing up the trailer, hooked up to the truck and drove back out to the overflow parking lot around mid-morning. We dropped the truck and trailer off, hopped in the car and drove to the other side of the parking lot. Then we took a bus back to the Trail’s End restaurant and had brunch. We were wasting time so that we wouldn’t get to our next destination too early (3:00 PM check-in time).

We rode the bus back to the front, drove the car over and picked up the truck and trailer and hit the road south. We arrived here at Jonathan Dickinson State Park at the back edge of the rain clouds. It cleared up just enough for us to set up without getting wet. We spent the afternoon and evening just relaxing and enjoyed a great sunset as the last of the rain clouds were heading out to sea.


Heading south


Set up in Jonathan Dickinson State Park


Sunday Sunset

Monday, Jan. 30

It was back to the regular grind today. Malcolm worked all day in the trailer and Val took care of laundry. She hung most of the laundry outside as it was in the upper 60’s and windy. A few items went in the dryer. At lunchtime, we headed into town to pick up groceries at Publix. Malcolm took a short ride on his bike in the afternoon. We were also treated to a nice sunset again this evening.


Monday Sunset

The rest of the week will be a little of the same – work and errands. We’ll probably do a little sightseeing here and there in the area. At least the weather is warming back up to normal temperatures the rest of the week (mid- to upper-70’s).



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.