Dates: Jan. 28 – Feb. 7, 2018
More work at home, primarily on the brown shed. As of this writing, the entire back end of the shed is done. Here’s how some of it went. Drywall covered by paneling went in fine. Looks like a lot of gaps and uneven joints in the following picture but, as you’ll see, things straightened up with various pieces of trim installed.
Once all the paneling was up, Malcolm installed the vinyl plank flooring. We’re very pleased with the combination. The following picture has a pinkish tint to it. The picture above is more in line with the actual colors of the paneling.
With walls and lower trim in place, it was time to set the toilet in place. Note that the sewer drop in the floor was already provided – we just put a new flange on it.
The washer and dryer were moved into place once we had the upper trim in place along and on the ceiling. Also note in this picture that the air conditioner is already in place and trimmed out as well as the window being trimmed out.
Considering we bought the washer and dryer used several months ago, we were crossing our fingers that both units worked. We were pleased to find out that they both work fine. Val has already used both to wash and dry one of our quilts. Buying the units used saved us more than $1,000 and closer to $2,000 (we paid $800 for both units and the bases).
The vanity was the last and most difficult piece of the puzzle. The main reason is that we decided to put the 6 gallon hot water heater inside the cabinet. It made for some creative plumbing challenges. The water heater sits in a drain pan and is fully drained outside through the shed floor (both the drain pan and the safety valve).
Because the water heater sits below the sink drain, we ended up ordering a drain pipe intended for handicapped sinks because it makes an immediate 90 degree bend just under the sink off to the side to go on to a normal p-trap and on out to the drain pipe.
The mirror came with the vanity. The faucet was purchased separately as was the light fixture. Peel and stick vinyl tiles complete the look, serving as a backsplash behind the sink.
With the back room all squared away, it was time to move to the front room and finish it. We liked how the self-leveling cement worked in the back of the shed and decided to do the same to the front room. There were a few flexy pieces of flooring up front and we were afraid our vinyl planks might pop apart.
The floor in the back just seems so much more solid and mixing and pouring the cement is pretty easy, so it was more or less a no-brainer. The following picture was taken just after we poured the cement on Tuesday afternoon (yesterday). It is recommended not to put any flooring on it for “2 to 3 days”, so Malcolm will be laying the flooring in there on Saturday. Once it is down, we just need to nail on the floor trim and the front room is essentially complete.
Other than working on the shed, Malcolm has been working for his employer, as well. Of course, we’ve made a couple random trips to Disney properties over the past couple weeks, including a late evening visit to Magic Kingdom and a recent visit to Epcot. Our timing was not the best as it rained on both trips. We still had fun. Here are some pictures.
Aside from construction, work and Disney visits, we’ve also been enjoying the company of several fellow RV owners that we know. Some live here in our community and others have been coming and going as part of their winter in Florida. We had lunch with several of them today and a pot-luck get-together the other evening with several of them.
We’ve also been enjoying some warm weather as of late. The temperature has moderated to the 78-82 degree range during the day and high 60’s at night. More like spring weather here.