Current Location: Rainbow’s End RV Park, Livingston, Texas
This morning we headed over to the Escapees office and set up our mail forwarding service, so we now have a Texas address. They were very helpful in discussing the requirements for becoming residents. We’ll need to have a few more things handy to get our drivers licenses than we have right now, and getting plates for the truck now but licenses in a couple months might incur fines or additional fees.
Their recommendation was to wait until we can come back with all the various things we’ll need and just take care of it all in one shot. For now, Escapees will be our mailing address, but Alabama will remain our physical address (for purposes of insurance, etc.).
With the mail thing taken care of, Malcolm decided to get the oily mess off the front cap of the trailer. Once done with that, he did the same with the truck, giving it a long-overdue bath. One thing led to another and Malcolm eventually ended up cleaning the whole outside of the trailer as well as the top side of the awning.
Malcolm finished our taillight mod (the lights mounted to the rear bumper) by using his fish tape to run the wires to the new lights out of the bottom of the trailer instead of having them taped to the back wall of the trailer. It looks much cleaner now.
Our main mod for the day was based on something we saw in newer units at the Tampa RV Show in January. Our washer/dryer closet has two doors on it, but the newer ones use on big door. We like the big door idea and were considering seeing if we could get one from the factory and staining it to match our interior. Val had a great idea today, though, so here’s what we did to convert our two doors into one big door.
We headed to Lowes and purchased a six-foot long 1×2 board and some 1 1/2″ wood screws. Back at the trailer, Malcolm removed the two doors from the wall and laid them face down on the picnic table outside. He cut the 1×2 into two lengths and stained them with some quick stain we have that pretty well matches our interior woodwork.
With the stain dried, Malcolm mounted the 1×2 boards across the joint where the two doors come together. A few screws driven in and the two doors are now joined together as one.
Back inside, the door was mounted using only the right-hand hinges (the left-hand ones were fully removed). We left the two handles as they were for continuity reasons and to keep from leaving two holes in the middle. The catches were all removed and one was replaced on the side of the door that opens (the left side). Here’s the final result both closed and open.
While we were out shopping for lumber and hardware, we also stopped and ate at Joe’s Italian Grill restaurant. We each brought home about half of our food. The portions were really large. Looks like Italian food tomorrow for lunch.